Last modified December 2022
IF YOU ARE (OR SOMEONE ELSE IS) EXPERIENCING A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY.
Section 1: Notice of Privacy Practices under HIPAA
Section 2: Online Privacy Statement
Section 3: Privacy Notice for California Residents
Section 1: Your Information. Your Rights. Our Responsibilities.
This notice describes how certain health information about you may be used and disclosed, and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
When it comes to your own health information, you have certain rights. This section explains your rights and some of our responsibilities to help you.
Get an electronic or paper copy of your medical record
- You can ask to see or get an electronic or paper copy of your medical record and other health information we have about you. Ask us how to do this.
- We will provide a copy or a summary of your health information, usually within 30 days of your request. We may charge a reasonable, cost-based fee.
Ask us to correct your medical record
- You can ask us to correct health information about you that you think is incorrect or incomplete. Ask us how to do this.
- We may say “no” to your request, but we will tell you why in writing within 60 days.
Request confidential communications
- You can ask us to contact you in a specific way (for example, home or office phone) or to send mail to a different address.
- We will say “yes” to all reasonable requests.
Ask us to limit what we use or share
- You can ask us not to use or share certain health information for treatment, payment, or our operations. We are not required to agree to your request, and we may say “no” if it would affect your care.
- If you pay for a service or health care item out-of-pocket in full, you can ask us not to share that information for the purpose of payment or our operations with your health insurer. We will say “yes,” unless a law requires us to share that information.
Get a list of those with whom we have shared information
- You can ask for a list (accounting) of the times we have shared your health information for six years prior to the date you ask, who we shared it with, and why.
- We will include all the disclosures except for those about treatment, payment, and health care operations, and certain other disclosures (such as any you asked us to make). We will provide one accounting a year for free but will charge a reasonable, cost-based fee if you ask for another one within 12 months.
Get a copy of this privacy notice
You can ask for a paper copy of this notice at any time, even if you have agreed to receive the notice electronically. We will provide you with a paper copy promptly.
Choose someone to act for you
- If you have given someone medical power of attorney or if someone is your legal guardian, that person can exercise your rights and make choices about your health information.
- We will make sure the person has this authority and can act for you before we take any action.
File a complaint if you feel your rights are violated
- You can complain if you feel we have violated your rights by contacting us using at [email protected]
- You can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights by sending a letter to 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201, calling 1-877-696-6775, or visiting hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints
- We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
For certain health information, you can tell us your choices about what we share. If you have a clear preference for how we share your information in the situations described below, talk to us. Tell us what you want us to do, and we will follow your instructions.
In these cases, you have both the right and choice to tell us to:
- Share information with your family, close friends, or others involved in your care
- Share information in a disaster relief situation
- Include your information in a patient directory that only our Healthcare Providers can access
If you are not able to tell us your preference, for example if you are unconscious, we may go ahead and share your information if we believe it is in your best interest. We may also share your information when needed to lessen a serious and imminent threat to health or safety.
In these cases, we never share your information, unless you give us written permission:
- Marketing purposes
- Sale of your information
- Most sharing of psychotherapy notes
In the case of fundraising:
- We may contact you for testimonials or an interview in connection with our fundraising efforts, but you can choose to not share information with us, and/or tell us not to contact you again.
Our Uses and Disclosures
1. How do we typically use or share your health information?
We typically use or share your health information in the following ways.
We can use your health information and share it with other healthcare professionals who are treating you.
Example: A Healthcare Professional treating you through our telehealth platform may ask for your primary care physician’s contact information and may ask that doctor about your overall health condition.
Run our organization
We can use and share your health information to run our practice, improve your care, and contact you when necessary. We may also use your deidentified or anonymized information for internal analytics and to build and improve our business.
Example: We use health information about you to manage your treatment and services for example our scheduling team may share information with our Healthcare Professionals to make sure those professionals know how to contact you and what the nature of your request for care is.
Bill for your services
We collect, use and share your health information to bill and get payment from health plans or other entities.
Example: We give limited information about you to your health insurance plan so it will pay for your services.
2. How else can we use or share your health information?
We are allowed or required to share your information in other ways – usually in ways that contribute to the public good, such as public health and research. We have to meet certain conditions in the law before we can share your information for these purposes. For more information see: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html.
Help with public health and safety issues
We can share health information about you for certain situations such as:
- Preventing disease
- Helping with product recalls
- Reporting adverse reactions to medications
- Reporting suspected abuse, neglect, or domestic violence
- Preventing or reducing a serious threat to anyone’s health or safety
We can use or share your information for health research.
Comply with the law
We will share information about you in response to a valid request from law enforcement or if required by state or federal laws.
Respond to organ and tissue donation requests
We can share health information about you with organ procurement organizations.
Work with a medical examiner or funeral director
We can share health information with a coroner, medical examiner, or funeral director when an individual dies.
Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and other government requests
We can use or share health information about you:
- For workers’ compensation claims
- For law enforcement purposes or with a law enforcement official
- With health oversight agencies for activities authorized by law
- For special government functions such as military, national security, and presidential protective services
Respond to lawsuits and legal actions
We may collect, use or disclose your information in order to protect our legal rights or other interests. We can share information about you in response to a court or administrative order, a valid request from law enforcement, or in response to a subpoena.
Facilitate business transactions
We may share personal information with business partners where it is relevant to a business transaction, such as the sale of Rocket Doctor to another company, as part of a corporate re-organization or to pursue a partnership or investment opportunity.
- We are required by law to maintain the privacy and security of your protected health information.
- We will let you know promptly if a breach occurs that may have compromised the privacy or security of your information.
- We must follow the duties and privacy practices described in this notice and give you a copy of it.
- We will not use or share your information other than as described here unless you tell us we can in writing. If you tell us we can, you may change your mind at any time. Let us know in writing if you change your mind.
For more information see: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/noticepp.html.
Changes to the Terms of this Notice
We can change the terms of this notice, and the changes will apply to all information we have about you. The new notice will be available upon request, in our office, and on our web site.
Section 2: Online Privacy Statement
Rocket Doctor, Inc. (“Rocket Doctor”) is committed to protecting the information that you share with us, and explaining how we collect, process, and share that information.
Scope and information that this Online Privacy Statement covers
This Online Privacy Statement (this “Privacy Statement”) applies to Personal Information (defined below) collected on our websites, mobile applications, or cloud-based services and communication platforms with a link to this Privacy Statement (collectively, the “Site”). It covers how we collect, use, share, and otherwise process personal information as of the date that this Privacy Statement is posted. It does not apply to any other information collected by Rocket Doctor through any other means. Further, our Online Privacy Statement does not apply to “protected health information” subject to the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA“). By “Personal Information,” we mean information that identifies or can identify you personally.
The Site contains links to third-party websites, including websites of our business partners. We do not own, operate or control the websites of those third-parties. Accordingly, this Privacy Statement does not apply to any websites maintained or operated by third-parties for the collection, use, storage, disclosure, or other processing of your Personal Information. When you click on those links, you will go to a third-party website where you will be subject to that website’s privacy statement and we encourage you to read that policy statement.
Finally, Rocket Doctor is not a medical group. Any telehealth consultations obtained through our Site are provided by independent medical groups and practitioners (each a “Healthcare Professional”).
Summary of Key Issues
We collect Personal Information about users of our site and our platform provided to us or that we obtain while you are using the Site.
We use Personal Information to provide you with services from our Site, to build features that will make the services available on the Site easier to use, to contact you about these services, and to send advertisements, marketing material or other offers that we think might be of interest to you.
We may share your Personal Information with Healthcare Professionals using our platform, external service providers, third party vendors, or as otherwise necessary to support a transaction with you and manage our business.
We employ reasonable and current technical, administrative, and physical safeguards that are designed to prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and designed to ensure correct use of Personal Information.
Marketing and Choices
You have control on how we use Personal Information for marketing. You can exercise your control in any marketing communication, please click here for more information.
If you reside in California, we are required to provide additional information to you, which is set forth below in the Privacy Notice To California Residents, about how we use and disclose your Personal Information, and you may have additional rights with regard to how we use your Personal Information.
We generally retain your Personal Information only as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement.
Persons under the age of 18 are ineligible to use any services on our Site. Parents may use our services on behalf of a minor child.
We will provide notice of any material changes to this Privacy Statement by posting a prominent notice on our Site and/or emailing you.
If you have questions not answered in this policy, you may contact us directly at [email protected]
1.) Collection of Your Personal Information
We collect your Personal Information on the Site to enhance the services we offer you, maintain and improve the Site, protect the security of you and our Site, comply with legal obligations, and inform you about other services and products that may be available through us, our affiliated companies, and our marketing partners. We collect Personal Information about you when you interact with or use services offered on this Site, such as:
Register for an account with us;
Sign up for newsletters;
Submit comments, reviews, or other user-generated content;
Connect or interact with us through our secure platform or Live Chat; and
Request customer or technical support.
Personal Information includes:
Postal or billing address;
Telephone or mobile number;
Device being used (for our mobile site);
Other relevant data.
Even if you do not send us any Personal Information, we collect certain non-personal information about how you use our Site. This non-personal information cannot identify you, and is used for statistical purposes.
Payment Information. If you pay for a service on our Site, we may collect payment card information or other billing details from you through our third party service provider, including your name, expiration date, authentication code, and billing address. This information will be securely transmitted consistent with payment card industry rules to the appropriate payment facilitators.
2.) Use of Your Personal Information
We use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
To provide you with our services;
To improve healthcare quality through the performance of quality reviews and similar activities.
To create De-identified Information such as aggregate statistics relating to the use of our services;
To notify you when Site updates are available;
To market and promote the Site and our services to you;
To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide us Personal Information; and
For any other purpose for which you give us authorization.
3.) Sharing of Your Personal Information
Whatever the purpose may be – whether we share with service providers or other external entities – we only use and share your Personal Information to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfill your requests and meet our legitimate business and legal objectives. When we disclose Personal Information to external entities to perform support services for us, we establish by contract that they may access your Personal Information only for the purposes of performing those support services. We may also disclose what we know about you to our business partners, to offer you other similar products and services. We may also use and disclose certain Personal Information to our affiliated companies and others for any purpose allowed by law.
Rocket Doctor Business Activities. We generally process and may disclose your Personal Information to the categories of recipients outlined above in order to:
- Facilitate online chat, audio, video or other remote consultations with authorized health care providers;
- Authenticate authorized users;
- Perform certain transactions initiated by you;
- Respond to your questions, complaints, or reviews of our products;
- Market our services to you, and send you communications about online transactions, product information, ads and promotions, electronic newsletters, or other notices you requested or offers tailored to you;
- Enable our advertisers to provide you with more personalized content, and track the effectiveness of certain advertising campaigns;
- Comply with applicable law, obey judicial orders, cooperate with law enforcement authorities, or prevent any suspected illegal activities;
- Help us run, grow and develop our business, including through the use of data analytics; or
- For any other everyday business purposes, such as product development and Site administration.
4.) Your Rights Concerning Your Personal Information
You have the following choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information:
- Marketing Communications. If you no longer wish to receive any marketing communications, remain on a mailing list to which you previously subscribed, or receive any other communication from Rocket Doctor, please follow the unsubscribe link in the relevant communications or contact us using the link at the bottom of the message. Even after you opt-out or update your marketing preferences, however, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes. These include, for example, customer service issues, returns or product-related inquiries, surveys or recalls, or any questions.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies. Please review your browser or computer settings for certain cookies and see below to exercise certain choices regarding cookies.
You are not required to provide all Personal Information identified in this Privacy Statement to use our Site, but certain aspects of our Site will not be available to you if you choose not to provide Personal Information. However, you can use our services without consenting to non-essential cookies or direct marketing emails; the only consequences being that our products and services will be less communicated, we may not be able to provide the support you seek, and you may miss out on attractive promotions and news about our products and services.
5.) Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
Information Collected Through Technology. Information is also obtained in other ways through technology we deploy. Some of this information may be linked to you personally. In accordance with applicable law, Rocket Doctor uses and allows third parties to use essential and non-essential cookies, online tracking tools, web beacons, and similar technologies (collectively, “cookies”) on our Site. We process this information to help our Site function correctly, and better understand the needs of our customers.
Strictly Necessary Cookies: These are required for the operation of our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
Analytical/Performance Cookies: These allow us to recognize and count the number of users of our Site and see how those users navigate through our Site. This helps to improve how our Site works, for example, by ensuring that users can find what they are looking for easily. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
Functional Cookies: These improve the functional performance of our Site and make it easier for you to use. For example, cookies are used to remember that you have previously visited the Site and asked to remain logged into it. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
We also use certain information to identify new visitors to our Site, recognize returning visitors, advertise on other websites and mobile applications not affiliated with us, analyze the effectiveness of our advertisements, better understand our audience, customers, or other Site visitors, and determine whether you might be interested in new products or services.
Controlling Our Tracking Tools. Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so, however, depends on your browser and the type of cookie. Certain browsers or browser plugins can be set to reject all browser cookies. If you configure your computer to block all cookies, you may disrupt certain web page features, and limit the functionality we can provide when you visit or use our Site. (e.g., we will not be able to provide you with searches that you have asked us to save). You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are still not uniform, so we are not currently set up to respond to those signals.
Controlling Online Interest-Based Ads. We sometimes work with online advertising vendors to provide you with relevant and useful ads. This may include ads served on or through our Site. This may also include ads served on other companies’ websites. These ads may be based on information collected by us or third parties. For example, your postal code may be used to target an ad for people in your area. These ads may also be based on your activities on our Site or on third-party websites.
For more information about our ad service provider and its cookies, including information about how to opt out of these technologies, you may visit http://optout.aboutads.info In addition, users may prevent Google’s collection of data generated by your use of the Site (including your IP address) by downloading and installing a Browser Plugin available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
Device Information. Depending on the permissions you’ve granted and other factors, we may also receive information about your location and your mobile device when you download or use apps created by our Sites, including a unique identifier for your device. Examples of the device information we collect include:
- Attributes such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers.
- Certain device locations, including specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals are gathered if you enabled the functionality within our product configuration.
- Connection information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address.
Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services, and we encourage you to contact your device manufacturer for detailed instructions on how to do that.
The security and confidentiality of your Personal Information matters to us. That’s why we have technical, administrative, and physical controls in place to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. For example, we provide the option to encrypt all information you submit to us using Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) technology that helps protect information during transport to our Site. We also review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. Even so, despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable.
7.) Data Retention
Depending on the service you require, we will retain your Personal Information only for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement or as set out in our contracts with our business partners, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by a law that applies to us.
8.) International Transfers
Our Site is operated in the United States and Canada. If you access our Site from the United States your Personal Information will remain stored in the United States, but can be securely accessed by our staff in Canada, the United States and other international locations, including the Philippines. Cross-border transfers may be necessary for the conclusion or performance of a transaction that you are requesting, and for the establishment, exercise, and defense of legal claims. We apply organizational and contractual safeguards to international transfers of Personal Information to ensure that your Personal Information receives an appropriate level of protection regardless of the jurisdiction in which it is stored. To the extent permitted by local law, your use of the Site or provision of any Personal Information constitutes – where legally required – your consent to the cross-border transfer of Personal Information and the other activities identified in this Privacy Statement.
This Site is not intended or directed to children under the age of 18, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children, or knowingly track the use of our Site by children. If Rocket Doctor has actual knowledge that Personal Information about a child under 18 years old has been collected, without parental consent, then Rocket Doctor will take the appropriate steps to remove or disable that Personal Information. If you believe we have impermissibly collected Personal Information from someone under the age of 18, please contact us as detailed below.
10.) Changes or Other Updates to this Privacy Statement
We may amend this Privacy Statement at any time. If we make any material change in how we collect, use, disclose, or otherwise process Personal Information, we will prominently post an updated Privacy Statement on our Site. Any material changes to this Privacy Statement will be effective 10 days after our posting of the updated Privacy Statement or as otherwise required by applicable law. Where required to do so by law, we will seek your prior consent to any material changes we make to this Privacy Statement.
11.) Comments and Questions
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or wish to correct or update your Personal Information, or unsubscribe from any updates you have requested, write to customer service at: